Monday 26 March 2012

METRONOMY's Olugbenga talks to Stu from THE PINK TOOTHBRUSH


For those who don’t know you, give us an introduction you are…OLUGBENGA. All caps. Bass player in Metronomy, laptop DJ, remixer.

What did you do at the weekend?
I played a show with Metronomy in Tours, a lovely city about two hours south of Paris. We drove, so Friday and Sunday were mostly spent sitting in a van watching Boardwalk Empire and working on a remix.

Tell us how you got into music, and doing what you do now…I grew up singing with my Von Trappe-style family. Then I sang in a gospel choir. Was briefly in a hip-hop outfit called Tribes of the Most High with some friends from church (we were young, what can I say?). Fastforward a few years, and I was singing for a dubstep outfit called Various Production and started touring with them and a couple of other bands. Then I got an email from a mutual friend asking if I was interested in trying out for Metronomy. In the last year (while Joe Mount finished the new album), I taught myself how to DJ with Ableton Live and started doing remixes.


If you could work with anyone in the world, who would it be?
I don't know if I'd want to work with him (frankly, I'd be too scared). But I'd love to watch Trent Reznor put an album together. Ideally one with Alan Moulder involved.

Also, I would have loved to see Jay Dilla put a beat together. Apparently it only took him about 15mins to make a classic. Could we maybe just get the universe to send him back for 15mins?

We wanna know your Top 3…

Artists / Dj’s - EAN, Kanye West, Om Unit

Blogs - RapRadar, The Lefsetz Letter, Jeremy Scahill on the Nation

Tracks - Three Trapped Tigers '11', Take That 'Affirmation' (yeah, seriously), Late of the Pier 'Best In Class (Soulwax Remix)'

Mixes - Girl Talk 'Night Ripper', Hudson Mohawke 'Hudson's Heeters Vol 2', Various Production 'Square Roots Mix'

Clubnights - Skint Mondays (Reading), Dance Right (LA), Bangers & Mash (London)

Cities - Lagos, London, Melbourne

Foods - Peanut butter and cheese on toast (seriously - ultimate snack!), Duck gyoza (ideally from Ping Pong Spitalfields), Pounded Yam and okra soup (Nigerian Sunday afternoon classic).

Finish this sentence,

Life is a cabaret.

No comments:

Post a Comment